Sunday 3 February 2013

MATHEMATICIAN QUOTES


Archimedes of Syracus (287-212 B. C. E)

  • Give me a place to stand, and I will move the earth.
  • Eureka, euraka!
  • Don't spoil my circles! (or Do not disturb my circles!)
  • There are things which seem incredible to most men who have not studied Mathematics.

Geoge Cantor (1845-1918)

  • The essence of mathematics is its freedom.
  • I see it, but I don't believe it.
  • Mathematics is entirely free in its development, and its concepts are only linked by the necessity of being consistent, and are co-ordinated with concepts introduced previously by means of precise definitions.
  • In mathematics the art of proposing a question must be held of higher value than solving it.
  • every transfinite consistent multiplicity, that is, every transfinite set, must have a definite aleph as its cardinal number.

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

  • So far as the theories of mathematics are about reality, they are not certain; so far as they are certain, they are not about reality.
  • I don't believe in mathematics.
  • God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically.
  • Nature to him (Newton) was an open book, whose letters he could read without effort.
  • Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore.
  • Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I assure you that mine are greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment